Re: OT: (h)air balls
  • Subject: Re: OT: (h)air balls
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 03:05:52 -0000

Thank you! I googled images and found lots of ice plants with that name, but also found this plant. The bloom does fold by noon. So it's official name would be Tragopogon pratensis and the roots and buds are edible. I'll have to do a bit more research before I'm brave enough to try and grow some. That kind of efficient seed dispersion gives me pause, but those (h)air balls are really something and a spot dedicated to having them in a clump would be quite something. I just need to know the longterm drawbacks before I chance it. Thanks again!

Anyone out there know how aggressive and weedy it can become in terms of being a major nuisance?

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA