Re: tragopogon
  • Subject: Re: tragopogon
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 07:08:11 -0400

I thought the USDA database was a good place to find out about
distribution and invasive status, but... their distribution map says it
isn't in Texas yet ;-). Not a good indicator, Donald - movin' fast!

It lists Tragopogon pratensis as T. lamottei, non-native.

The roots are supposedly edible, so maybe the tops would be tasty to
your cows.

>From what I read, it's sporadic in waste places & roadsides, doesn't
sound too pasture/iris garden threatening.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7