Re: Eleanore's iris NOT I. aphylla
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Eleanore's iris NOT I. aphylla
  • From: "Yuri Pirogov" <jukp@aha.ru>
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 07:19:28 +0400

Elm,
Good idea, but...
Christy posted Vera Ruby to iris-photo: http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/jun04/msg00364.html and it has blue styles.
El's flower have yellow styles.

Yuri

Eleanore and all.....

    The iris photo that Eleanore posted is definitely not a form of I. aphylla, nor is it a hybrid cross of I. aphylla or anything else.  I concur with Christy Hensler that it is probably Lawrence Ransom's 'Vera Ruby' which is a cross between the regelia hybrid 'Vera' and an SDB. (Ransom registered that the SDB was either 'Third Charm' or 'Triplicate'.)  'Vera Ruby' has standards and falls that are described as red-brown with red violet centers.  The flower is in the shade in the picture, so I can't pick out all the details.  There is supposed to be, on the falls, a "blackish red diffused spot and haft veining."  I am pretty sure, from what I can see, that the beard on 'Vera Ruby' matches the registered description:  "beard light blue violet, tipped bronze in throat."  'Vera' is a pure regelia hybrid (RH) and one of its parents is I. stolonifera.  I've crossed I. stolonifera and SDBs for years, and this has that same tailored form with elongated petals as some of my seedlings have.  Pictured below is my photo of the RH 'Vera'.

Elm