Re: HYB: Stripey standard seedling again
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Stripey standard seedling again
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 05:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Chuck, Mark, El, Mike and Adam!
I had thought that it was little unusual when I first saw it bloom, but I didn't realize how many people would appreciate the standard striping.

If it increases alright I plan on registering it and I've already been using it in some crosses. It seems to be a lot like Iris variegata in its breeding behavior - very selective about what pollens it will accept. It's from the cross KEIRITH x CLOWN PANTS, so is diploid and at least 1/4 variegata. I've got one seedling growing nicely from Iris rudskyi pollen. It should bloom next year. Iris rudskyi has faint striping on its standards too so I'm hopeful how this seedling might turn out. I've got four or five less vigorous seedlings from the next breeding season - these are from ASTRA GIRL. Last year I didn't do any crosses on it. And this season it's setting pods from T5, a species hybrid I got many years ago from Terry Varner's Ohio Gardens. T5 is Iris timofejewii X Iris variegata.

I'd like to try to breed this striping over into the tetraploids, but that's going to have to wait until next year at the earliest.

Thanks again for your kind words and interest.

P.S. Here's another picture, up close so you can better see how the striping looks inside and out.