RE: Not an iris
  • Subject: RE: Not an iris
  • From: David Ferguson <manzano57@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 21:44:31 -0600

Your plant is an Echinopsis as well, though a different selection.  I'm not sure if it is E. oxygona, but is at least likely a hybrid of that species.  E. oxygona is one of those species with several synonyms, most of them based on different numbers of spines.  Generally plants of E. oxygona don't grow stems so long as yours, but rather are more upright compact and clumping; however, culture can affect how they grow a great deal.  There are several cultivars that look rather similar to your photo ('Barber Pole' & 'Stars and Stripes' are a couple), but I'm not sure which yours might be, and I'm not sure of the parantage of either one of those two.  Often Echinopsis cultivars are just seedlings of pure species.  However, Echinopsis species hybridize easily with one-another in cultivation, and many propagated selections have two or more species in their ancestry, with little record of what was crossed ! with what (often I think the bees do the deed, and they don't keep notes).
As a side note, Echinopsis is a "dumping ground" genus, where lots of things have been lumped together into one rather unweildy and partially unnatural grouping.  When you look up "Echinopsis" on the internet, you will see a fair number of things that are not really (or should not be) Echinopsis.  Some groups of Echinopsis species are dwarf high mountain plants that have been traditionally considered part of Rebutia, but that have nothing to do with that genus.  You have to look up Rebutia (or Mediolobivia, or Digitorebutia, or -  -  -  - ) to see pictures of those.  Others (Trichocereus & kin) have been dumped into Echinopsis, but do not really belong there (but they have relatively similar flowers).  If the ones that belong rather naturally together (meaning they are closely related, and will hybridize easily) are kept together in Echinopsis ! (and the others discarded as non-members), it is still a relat! ively large (the biggest can be around knee high) and varied group ranging from relatively large tropical species, often night blooming with long large flowers, thru desert species with tough compact stems and showy colored flowers, to high elevation species that are tiny with colored tiny flowers (plus everything imaginable in between).  Since they will all hybridize, the range of possible cultivated plants is pretty amazing.  Echinopsis (in the broad sense), should includes Lobivia, Acantholobivia, Hymenorebutia, Pseudolobivia, Mediolobivia, Chamaecereus, Digitorebutia, and probably a few others, but not Trichocereus [incl. Helianthocereus, Soehrensia, and close kin], and not  true Acanthocalycium species.  There are a lot of species of Echinopsis (Google any of the genus names listed above), and most are easy to grow and flower.  They are all from southern South America, ! mostly from the Andes and the east base of the Andes.
Definitely some parallels to the genus "Iris" here.
Dave Ferguson