Re: re Theresa's virus

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] re Theresa's virus
  • From: "Harry Dewey, Beltsville, Maryland USA zone 7a" <harryd@kreative.net>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:22:58 -0800

Dear Diane:
The reason that the message you sent to Theresa Yates bounced back to
you is that this virus inserts an underscore at the beginning of each
email address.  I discovered this when a message I sent bounced back,
and I compared the address with the person's Alpine-L emailinglist
subscription address (which, of course, lacked the underscore).  My
guess is that this is what happened in the case of your message to

With best wishes,

Diane Whitehead wrote:
> I just received a message from Theresa Yates < _tjyates@fanninelectric.com >that contained a new worm, just discovered two days ago. Norton caught it: X-VIRUS-Warning: "FUN.MP3.pif"
> I sent a message to her to tell her about it, and had it bounced back. I wonder if her ISP cut her off until she gets rid of the worm?
> In case any others of you received it this morning, here is the name of it:
> W32.Badtrans.B@mm
> Discovered on: November 24, 2001
> Last Updated on: November 24, 2001 at 12:19:48 PM PST
> W32.Badtrans.B@mm is a MAPI worm that emails itself out as one of several different file names. This worm also drops a backdoor trojan that logs keystrokes.
> Diane Whitehead Victoria BC Canada

Harry Dewey <HTD10@Columbia.edu> (lifetime email address)
4605 Brandon Lane, Beltsville, Maryland USA 20705-2604
301-937-1446                         Hardiness Zone 7a
Founder, Alpine-L, the Electronic Rock Garden Society

Stop Smoking Now
Nicotrol will help