Re: HYB: Traitor - pink & green genes?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] HYB: Traitor - pink & green genes?
  • From: Margie Valenzuela IrisLady@comcast.net
  • Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 08:28:15 -0700

Hi Linda,

To the best of my knowledge I will answer your question. (Correct me anyone if I'm incorrect.)

I have learned that the violet color in the halfs (found in GIFT OF DREAMS) are from anthocyanin pigments. So are the colors scarlet, red violet, blue to deep violet and crimson. These colors are water soluble.

Pinks (like CONTRITE), oranges, and yellows are carotenoid pigments. These are oil soluble. Note: water and oil solubles do not mix.

I've also learned that when crossing both phenotypes - one has the possibility of producing a "blended" result/ or iris. The color pigments are not truely blended (not yellow x blue = green). They are not a mix - but rather the colors (though they appear together in the same area.) occupy a different part of the same area.

The browns and red-browns in an iris are the same result of this kind of mix. I hope this helps to clarify how this color combination (and other combinations) come about. Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.
Zone 8/9
IrisLady@comcast.net