Re: ADMIN: Poll

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] ADMIN: Poll
  • From: Gerry Snyder gerrysnyder@attbi.com
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 00:43:42 -0800

John I Jones wrote:

> As you know I am thinking about moving iris-photos to hort.net (as I have done with iris-talk)
>
> We are concerned with the bandwidth load on the Mallorn servers, and have come up with an
> alternative approach for the posted messages.
>
> Instead of sending the attachment picture with each post, the message would contain a clickable
> link (URL) to the picture in the archives. It would make downloading the messages to each
> individual subscriber much faster, and you look only at those pictures you are interested in.
> Even if you are interested in all of them, there is no penalty in doing it this way.
>
> For those of you that already view the pictures in the archives this might be a better
> alternative, and certainly no worse.
>
> Let me know what you think.

I am lazy and selfish. With the current system, many messages have the
images embedded and visible. No work is needed to see them, and they are
always on my hard disk in case I want to look at them when my connection
is down.

I suspect that even after downloading and saving a pic with the proposed
way of doing it, the email will still point to the one in the archive,
and the stored one will not be easily accessible.

My thinking is that folks who don't want to download all the pix can
just look at the archives, as many do now.

It won't surprise me, though, if mine is a minority opinion, and the
majority should rule.

It will still be great either way.

Gerry
--
mailto:gerrysnyder@attbi.com
American Iris Society Affiliates Chair, Symposium Chair, and Director