Re: Happenstance & HYB

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Happenstance & HYB
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:18:36 -0500

It's alive here (2nd fall), bloomed the first year in spite of no
protection during a hard late spring freeze, but has not been happy.
Even the year it bloomed, the stalk was short and the flower was IB
sized.  It is nice enough that I'm going to try to coddle it a little to
see if I can get some pollen from it (well, yes, a bloom stalk first!)
to mix with some tougher stuff.

Hopeful mama candidate may turn out to be a PINK FORMAL bee pod seedling
from this spring.  It has been growing like crazy with the cooler
weather, shows no sign of foliar injury in spite of repeated freezes,
including one in which most of the west coast punies were hit pretty
hard, and is now showing signs of forming a stalk (PF is listed in the
reblooming checklist as carrying rebloom...).

I know Keith K must love the idea of my crossing his modern beauties
with iris from the '40s!  <g>

Killing time here while I wait impatiently for the daily crane

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Operation Migration daily updates:
International Crane Foundation updates on class of 2001 Whooping Cranes: