RE: CULT:The Big Dig

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos]CULT:The Big Dig
  • From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:57:04 -0700

I really like this picture, Betty.  I can see where your Kentucky iris garden is and imagine what it may look like in the spring.

I have a question though.  I see the leaves have turned on the trees and a few are bare already.  Winter will soon arrive.  How will those newly planted irises make it through the winter?  I live in warm sunny Arizona where last week the temperature was still 100 degrees F.  Fall arrived this week with highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s.  I still have a few irises I want to move, but I have found they need six weeks of warm soil for their roots to form and take hold.  If they don’t, they don’t do well and often don’t survive our relatively warm winters.  I doubt that yours will be able to grow roots until the ground warms next spring.  Have you planted this late before and had them grow well come spring?

I really hope the best for them.  It should be a beautiful iris field.  I hope you take their picture again when they bloom.