Re: HYB: Seedling 99TA-05

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: Seedling 99TA-05
  • From: "Mike G" redear@infinet.com
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:25:44 -0000

> >This one I like but not exactly what I was after. I wanted a red
beard. The first year to bloom so exact bud count and branching is
not known. Nine I Think. Average vigor.

> >Olympiad X Stately Art got some nice iris out of this cross.  I
have some seeds from it and Seapower, no red beard there.

> >Mike Greenfield
> >
> The red beard is the "Tangerine" factor which is recessive. Olymiad
doesn't have or carry the tangerine factor, so no red beards.
> --
> Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Zone 4/5
 Statly Art has a red beard. Out of 25 or so seedlings all but one
had red tipped beards in the throat, some up to 3/4 of the beard.
99TA-05 has just a little in the throat. Most part is white tipped
yellow. A similar sibling seedling with more red in the beard was
crossed with Twilight Blaze. I have seeds from the cross.

I don't expect any from the Seapower cross. I am not up on genetics.
And I have only been making crosses since 98.

Mike Greenfield