RE: Red Beards

>> >Olympiad X Stately Art got some nice iris out of this cross.  I
>have some seeds from it and Seapower, no red beard there.
>> >

>> >Mike Greenfield
>> >
>> The red beard is the "Tangerine" factor which is recessive. Olymiad
>doesn't have or carry the tangerine factor, so no red beards.
>> --
>> Chuck Chapman, Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Zone 4/5
> Statly Art has a red beard. Out of 25 or so seedlings all but one
>had red tipped beards in the throat, some up to 3/4 of the beard.
>99TA-05 has just a little in the throat. Most part is white tipped
>yellow. A similar sibling seedling with more red in the beard was
>crossed with Twilight Blaze. I have seeds from the cross.
>I don't expect any from the Seapower cross. I am not up on genetics.
>And I have only been making crosses since 98.
>Mike Greenfield
The red beards in Stately Art are the tangerine red (lycopene pigment). Its parents for several generations on both sides have the tangerine red beards.  The orangish-red beards are a combination of anthocyanin (blue-violet pigments) and  carotene (yellow) pigments,and this  darker and not as an intense colour. The red you are seeing is likely the organish-red combination as the rest of the beard is yellow. When you have the tangerine you have the lycopene pigment. The lycopene replaces the yellow and you don't get both on a beard. You can have lycopene and anthocyanin (violet-blue and  red or violet tipped red), and lycopene and white (eg white beards tipped red) but you don't get lycopene and carotene together in beards. You can get one form of carotene (Carotene 1, I believe) with lycopene on the petals, to make orange.

There is some nice home chemistry seoerations you can do to clarify this further. The anthocyanins are water soluble and can be extracted with water or alcohol (methyhydrate works well, used as a paint thinner and redily available). The carotenes and lycopene are oil soluable and can be disolved in lamp oil (cheap and available at most hardware stores). Take your red beard from  seedlings and disolve in warm alcohol. Then add some oil and shake. The carotenes and lycopene will move to the oil and antyocyanin will remain in the alcohol. Disolve some lycopene from red beards as on Stately Art or from a pink iris or from a tomato (same lycopene pigment) and compare them.

Probably more then you wanted to know.