Re: Rainbow Hybridizing Catalog

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Rainbow Hybridizing Catalog
  • From: Patricia Wenham h.schinkep@verizon.net
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:25:06 -0800

Sterling,

Thank you for the scan of Rainbow Offerings 1954 Catalog cover.  Even
more interesting is the message about Advance Guard.  A friend from
Loomis, WA had several horned iris from her own crosses planted in a
little area near her house.  She had one that she said was older than
Unicorn and she had used it in some hybridizing she had done.  She did
the crosses for her own pleasure and continued to do so till shortly
before her death about eight years ago.  None had good substance or
color but she treasured them and they might have looked great along side
other crosses made when she did hers.  Mary (Gratrix) had purchased some
new iris every year since about WW II according to her.  She often got
some as gifts from her family.  She said she learned to tell them which
iris she wanted instead of letting them choose on their own.  She said
she finally diverted them to buying her rose bushes instead.  Mary had
shelves and shelves of iris catalogs from all her years of hybridizing.
  I wish we had them for our club or in the library or even for silent
auctions at regional meetings.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511