Re: Last Oldies-Photo recorder

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Last Oldies-Photo recorder
  • From: GormleyGreenery@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:18:05 EST

In a message dated 11/14/2004 11:51:51 PM Central Standard Time, neilm@charter.net writes:
I dream of the day when an accurately rendered photo is a requirement at the time of registration.
Neil and all,
Thought you would be interested in a little article Bob Pries wrote for the new Medianite (which is in the mail this week) regarding pictures being recorded:

Wouldnât it be wonderful to have checklists of Irises fully illustrated in color. That time is not for off. Various Sections and co-operating societies are working on achieving this. But AIS registrations do not ask for photographs. Therefore each Iris group is creating a new job position. Several names have been suggested. Photo-archivist, Photo-coordinator, Recorder. Regardless of what the title turns out to be, these people will be actively soliciting from hybridizers, pictures of their new registrations or introductions.

Now when you register an iris or record its introduction you need to send the appropriate person a copy of the registration information and your photos. In the Median Society we have five people who are collecting photos. One for each group of median Irises and the checklist chairman. Our photo coordinators are Dana Brown for SDBs, Sandra Barss for IBs, Chuck Bunnell for MTBs, and Nylah Hughes for BBs. Bob Pries is the checklist chairman and will accept pictures of any of the older median cultivars. Actually all of these people will be working as a team. Pictures can be accepted digitally by e-mail, as slides, or prints.

These collectors of images and information are not registrars. The AIS registrar still creates the official Registration and Introduction records for Iris. Our job is to gather photos and information that can be used in the group checklists over and above the standard data that appears in the official Iris registry. In the Median Society we are part of the Publications committee and all images are available for the Medianite and other Median Society projects. If you have photos of your new introductions feel free to begin to send them. The checklist/image team is still getting organized but we will begin work as needed.

Chair-Rita Gormley - GormleyGreenery@aol.com

Checklist-Nyla Hughes - nylah@brick.net

            Bob Pries - rpries@sbcglobal.net

Photo Recorder