TB: Quandary

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Quandary
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:11:56 -0500

Keith Keppel tells of the origin of QUANDARY and Joe Ghio's IMPULSIVE.  They were both in Keith's garden, and both made the same cross--the Ghio seedling is 88-180P: (Notorious) X ((Success Story x (Fancy Tales x Alpine Castle)) x ((Persian Smoke x Entourage) x ((Strawberry Sundae x (Artiste x Tupelo Honey)) x Borderline sib))), then Keith sent Joe's seeds to him.
IMPULSIVE is almost an orange amoena, with a certain amount of apricot-yellow tinting of the standards under some conditions, and has a flush of deeper color deep in the midrib.  It also has a vivid beard that has been quite red here, but is described as tangerine to orange-tangerine in most gardens.
It is a highly fertile parent.  I haven't seen bloom from my own seedlings from it, but obtained some of Joe Ghio's introductions from it this year.  He sent the 88-180P as well, as I am quite intrigued with the "line and speckle" pattern.
According to something Joe said, that Notorious seedling parent to both Quandary and Impulsive was not introduced only because the rate of increase minus the rate of bloom wasn't adequate for a commercially viable variety.
Your photo of Quandary, Margie, is the best I have seen of the variety.  Kudos!
Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here
Web Bug from http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=:HM/A=2434970/rand=242311536