HYB: small seedlings

  • Subject: HYB: small seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 07:16:39 -0500

This is what they look like.  There are several of the really small ones
in each of the pots in the photo with the green chair.  Bigger ones are
in the quart pots in front of the big pots.   The wire cage is
protecting the recently lined out seedlings.  Keeps wildlife and me from
accidentally trampling them.

The potted ones will stay outdoors.  If it is as mild here this winter
as it has been the last three, I won't cover them.  If we get a few
weeks with night time temperatures well above freezing and highs in the
upper 70s & 80s in mid winter, then forecast is for teens or low 20s, I
will probably throw a couple of layers of Reemay fabric over them untl
it warms up again.

If I get around to it, I will cover the 'caged' small seedlings with
Reemay for the winter to give them a chance to keep growing.  Guess I
<could> do the same for the potted ones......

Anner, I'm not sure how many seedlings I had this year - maybe 1000 all
together?  Still updating my row records.

> I was reading your posting about getting seedlings into the ground, and was
> curious: what do you do with the 300 or so seedlings that are still in pots
> that won't go get transplanted intothe ground?
> Do they stay out doors in the pots? Come inside? Get buried in their pots?
> Thanks,
> Laetitia

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links