Re: Improving shape AND rebloom

  • Subject: Re: Improving shape AND rebloom
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:04:20 EST

Where to begin?  Have you signed up for Iris-talk?
<<1-It's hard to compare pictures not taken at the same time with different cameras. But your picture shows very bright colours compared to Cantina.
Have you managed such an improvement or is it the over saturation of the picture that gives this effect.(shame on me to doubt your achievement)>>
Part may be the cameras.  That picture was taken in a friends garden and emailed to me.  My sister, who lives in the part of Arkansas that has white sand, sent pictures.  And I've seen it pictured from several different parts of the country.  In some cases, I wouldn't recognize it as the same iris.
The cross of Her Royal Highness X Inferno was made as a primary cross for red.  When I crossed the seedling with Feed Back, I got TC. It's the only seedling I remember from that cross.  The falls have more of the blue/med purple look than does Cantina.  Even in my garden, it varies in intensity from year to year.
TC is a fun parent.  It's hard to know what I'm going to get.  The one I've attached is from ((Her Royal Highness x Inferno) x Journey) x Tara's Choice X Angel Among Us.  Pollen from a laced pink grandchild of Pink Attraction.  It looks plum in the bud.  Again this is not a great picture, but I'm captivated by the huge beard on this one.  It's tipped white on the ends.
I've a few seedlings from Cantina x TC.  Only eight were planted out.  They don't look strong.
<<2-RE wise,i haven't tested Her royal highness long enough to tell,and Cantina has just arrived, but can you tell if Feedbach has improved Her royal highness RE performances?>>
HRH didn't rebloom for me.  Cantina has.  TC is throwing some interesting rebloom seedlings.  In 2003 I failed to mark a cross onto TC.  It was one of the Ghio reds but I couldn't remember if it was Ritual or Regimen.  This has been an exceptional cross.  Many rebloomers in a variety of colors and patterns.  Not all finished products by any means, but interesting none the less.
<<As a beginner,That should teach me two things :Patience, cos it took you 2 generations, and that's a lot of time, Hope, cos you show it's possible, in only ( when we really put things into persperctive) two generations to achieve with irises what has been impossible to do with humans in centuries!>>
Some times you get lucky.  Or maybe it's the planning and studying that does it.  Many of my successes have been first generation--Bridge In Time, Returning Chameleon, Summer Radiance, Radiant Bliss, Rebound & Star Gate.  In my eyes, Star Gate had a better sibling, but it bloomed itself to death.  Some times it just takes growing them for years!
Breeding for rebloomers is not for the faint of heart.  Some times it gets very frustrating.  Some classes are extremely difficult.  For me, red is an extremely hard class to work.  There are many more pitiful seedlings than good ones. I gave up at one time.  And I'm close to it again.  The form is harder to get than the rebloom.
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives