Re: TB: HYB: clear rim on falls

  • Subject: Re: TB: HYB: clear rim on falls
  • From: iris4u2@comcast.net
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 23:18:51 +0000

I recently gave a presentation in Phoenix and included the attached photo of my seedling 23BS4.  I discribed the rim on the Standard as having a chipping effect or flaking off.  The pigment on the standard was incomplete clearly different than a rim or band and I stated I felt this was a defect in my opinion.  To me the inconsistant rim detracts from the overall quality of the flower.  In some spots the color goes all the way to the edge and other it appears to be torn.  Comments are welcome.

Bob in Denver
Iris4u Iris Garden

From: "FRANCELLE EDWARDS" <fjmjedwards@worldnet.att.net>

This seedling of mine has a noticeable clear rim on its falls.  In sunlight it glitters like tiny drops of dew.  I thought that it was pretty and gave distinction to the iris.  However, noted hybridizer said that he considered that type of rim a defect and destroys seedlings that have it.  I would like other opinions about this.

Francelle Edwards  Glendale, AZ  Zone 9

JPEG image