Cult: HYB: insanity

  • Subject: Cult: HYB: insanity
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:41:23 -0500

If I see someone drive by and something white is showing, I hide in the
pasture. I'm afraid the white something may be a jacket without sleeves.
Before my orange blood makes me even more insane, I thought I'd post this.
The pot on the far left is what I consider a 'standard' pot. Maybe 8" in
diameter? The one next to it is the same diameter, but is what is called a
chrysathemum pod, I believe. I prefer the 2nd and 3rd sizes for seedlings.
Unfortunately there are still 8 pots from the '06 crop still not lined out
and nothing from the '07 crop. But I still planted seeds. The next 5
smaller pots have this years' seeds. If you can call the Dixie cup a pot!!
The 4th & 5th pot are about 3" diameter. The taller (non-chrysathemum
style) will fit in a gallen zip-lock bag. The shorter will (barely) fit in
a 2 quart zip-lock bag. I hated the slime and mold of the burritos, so I
just planted fresh seeds in the pots, bagged them and put them in the
fridge. Now some have germinated there. The smaller clay pots, about 2"
and !" in diameter will fit two to a 2 quart bag. The Dixie cups were used
in and stored 6 to a tray that fit in the gallon bag. I used these before I
found the tiny clay pots. Mostly the cups have crosses where there isn't
much expectation of any germination anyway. Pods having an unbalanced
chromosome set parent and usually only 1-5 seeds in a pod. There was the
occasional exception and guess where the 1st germination was? I hate
plastic. I kill things if they stay in plastic. I also don't have a good
record transplanting very small seedlings which will be necessary if many in
those small pots, plastic or clay, germinate. Still it will be necessary if
many germinate. Too difficult to keep watered otherwise. I can handle the
3" pots for a while and can keep them going in the winter months provided I
protect them from really hard freezes, but they are too small in the heat of
summer. I trashed a ton of stuff, but by the time I reorganized and
replanted what I was unwilling to toss, I didn't gain much extra room. I
have to find time to get the pickaxe working so I can prepare some space.
Aargh! What provoked me to take the photo was the need to repot the third
from the left pot. 25 seeds last spring and 23 germinated. That's a lot
better % than I'm used to seeing, but it makes for too many to carry in a
pot of that size. So the bigger pot on the right now has that group.
Uniform sizes make it easier when you're trying to carry them through the
winter, but that's what I get for not managing to get planting space

Donald Eaves
donald @eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image