Re: A new crested iris???

  • Subject: Re: A new crested iris???
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:08:25 EST

In a message dated 11/18/2009 1:43:04 PM Mountain Standard Time, jimmurrain@gmail.com writes:
A mysterious iris found in NE India, the Eastern Aranachal Pradesh
at about 9,500'. Photos taken last June by Pete Boardman of the United
Kingdom. This was found on an eastern facing, steep hillside in a clearing
surrounded by rhododendron and trees to about 25'. Unfortunately it was
too early for seeds and no plants were collected.
Anyone recognize this iris? Obviously it has an affinity to I. tectorum
and I. milesii. Could this be a new species or just a variant of I. tectorum
or I. milesii with wet droopy falls?
This group is considerably removed from my area of expertise, so I wouldn't speculate as to whether it is a variant or a new species -- but the photos certainly remind me of the elusive I. wattii Baker, especially the form.
Sharon McAllister