Re: REB: genetics (was Rose Kinnard's seedlings)
  • Subject: Re: REB: genetics (was Rose Kinnard's seedlings)
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:57:34 -0500

If the "preferntial Rebloomers" have a long enough growing season in your climate, then they would rebloom in your garden.

I have noted some more northern gardens that can do this. But they have a long growing time between last frost in spring and first hard frost of fall.

To tell if you climate is suitable for this type of rebloom, grow some of these plants. Don't count any fall bloom in year of acquisition. But again, in colder areas, they will likely be racing against frost.

There are four genetic systems for rebloom.  (From what I can tell at moment) These are all different , and don't sem to be complemetal or cumulative. So they don't add to each other.

But secondary  conditions are additive. That is , rapidity of growth, low leaf count maturity, wider temperature range for bud set, fast increase, lower temperature for cold dormancy, higher temperature for heat dormancy , drought tolerance, earlier bloom time , tolerance of crowded conditions,  etc..

So these secondary factors can be added from combining differernt genetic rebloomers (or from any other plant having these secondary genetics). But still only earliest rebloom trigger will  give you  rebloom.

A plant can have genetics for rebloom, but not rebloom in  a certain climate as environmental conditions  are not suitable, or more  likely secondary genetic  factors in combintion are not suitable to trigger rebloom for that climate.

Lloyd Zurbigg found this. He  made a lot of rebloom crosses here in Canada, but had little sucesse. When he moved to USA, these same seedlings rebloomed for him.

Chuck Chapman