Re: HYB: seed germination
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: seed germination
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:32:49 -0400

Interesting observation, Donald.  I hope that the weather finally permits you to line them all out and enjoy them.  --  Griff

Griffin's Den
http://www.pilmore.com/griffinsden/default.html

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:58 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: seed germination

The several hundred seedlings that sprouted and normally would have been
lined out remain in the seedling pots. Can't dig here without water. Those
seeds had the best germination of any seeds I've ever planted, percentage
wise. They are also having the best subsequent fall - or late - germination
I've ever had. I'm now looking at hundreds of the little fellows that may
spend their entire life stuck in a pot. I'm convinced now that germination
isn't entirely tied to temps. Germination came to a complete halt in April
when the temps got consistantly warm, but the fall germination started at
the end of
Augst when the temps were consistantly warmer than when they shut off. I
think the seeds must track the trend of the ongoing temps, which is not
quite the same as being dependent on the actual temp. That means they shut
down when the temps are continually rising, but reactivate when those temps
start going lower. Otherwise they wouldn't be starting so early. In any
case, a month or so ago when I counted there were nearly 70 new plants, so
I'm probably close or past a hundred or so now. They keep coming. The
photo is of a cross where there was only one seedling at the end of spring
and now has twelve in the fall, the newest showing up today. Seen a lot of
that this fall in the pots. Seven pods that had no germination at all now
have seedlings. I really wish now I hadn't dragged out any of the stored
seeds and planted them. I'm not at all sure even with some rain and
moisture I'll be able to manage the number of seedlings I have.

Donald Eaves
mailto:donald%40txol.net
Texas drought zone, USA