Re: HYB: breeding strategies
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: breeding strategies
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 18:26:13 -0400

(oops - sent these pix to iris talk)
Loic, I have no idea how BQ will mix with the best of the modern
reblooming medians. I've found that with IMM crosses, I can't really
tell ahead of time which crosses will take form in a direction I want.
Some are just awful, a lot are just ok, a few good enough to try to take
farther.

If you have any median rebloomers that have consistently produced modern
form in <all> seedlings, no matter what you've crossed them with, those
would probably work best. Less chance of recessive retro genes popping
up to take over. Maybe. I really don't know.

The only BQ seedlings I've ever grown are from seeds Margie sent me, BQ
X SELECT CIRCLE. I posted a photo of some of them awhile ago. Small
flowers, fairly retro, poor substance, very unhealthy here. Survivors
have grown like raggedy weeds - icky foliage and all. This is their
second fall - no sign of rebloom on any of them.

If anybody can make a cross of BQ X TREASURED, they probably wouldn't
rebloom, but from what I've seen of T seedlings so far, they would
probably be a step forward. And if they were fertile here, I'd sure try
to work with them. ;-)

Loic, I think AUTUMN TWILIGHT would be another good rebloomer for you to
work with - it's an IB already, and is a prolific stalk producer here.
If I took good care of it, with lots of water and manure mulch, I'd bet
it could bloom from spring to fall. It seems to be a little less heat
tolerant than BQ and IMM, but not much. Attached are photos of the only
AT cross I've tried - AUTUMN TWILIGHT X RENOWN. Not all that terrible
for a first generation, & if it ever summer blooms, I might try to do
something with it. Form is crumpled, & that seems to be genetic.
Recessive tho (based on one data point from another cross), so easy to
'hide' .

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7

JPEG image

JPEG image