RE: HYB:orange, shoulders vs selfs?
  • Subject: RE: HYB:orange, shoulders vs selfs?
  • From: <donald@txol.net>
  • Date: 22 Nov 2013 17:29:34 -0800

There's a lot to like about that Renown seedling.  I like the pale orange rim on the falls and the orange veining in the standards.  If those were as intense in color as the orange on the shoulders, this would be a knockout in terms of color/pattern.  Still looks nice in the photo.

Can't tell much about the other seedling.  Photo is too small for these tired old eyes ;(,  I'm guessing it's the one with bluish tints?

Donald Eaves

Texas, Zone 7 and winter starts with four days of steady temps at near 32F.  That's a really unusual string of cold hours this early in the cold season.

---In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, <lmann@...> wrote:

Some discussion re: orange on FB, thought I'd move this over here.

I have a seedling from (IMM x Csong) X orange self:(Golden Apple x
Crystal Glitters) that is sort of bluish orangish with orange shoulders.
Looks more orange in photos than in reality - one of those mud colors.

Here's a seedling from Renown X All My Dreams that also has orange

Both All My Dreams and Crystal Glitters have a somewhat similar pattern
of orange on white. Nearly all of the seedlings from Golden Apple X
Crystal Glitters were the same color - light orange selfs. A few yellow

If I crossed the two, could any of the first generation be orange selfs?
Makes my head hurt trying to think simultaneously about multiple
traits. Yellow/pink, alternate yellow, orange shoulders vs orange
amoenas vs orange selfs.

It would need 4 doses of recessive white to block out all the blue?, 4
of the alternate yellow?, 4 of tangerine factor?, & ? to get a self
instead of orange amoena or shoulders? Does it need separate genes to
knock out the alternate yellow plus tangerine?

Wow, this is just too complicated! Much easier just to try the cross
and see what happens.

At least this orange shouldered baby indicates that Renown can produce
at least some orange in seedlings.

Linda Mann