[PHOTO] TB: tiny increases & iris torture | Sun, 6 Oct 2002 15:10:18" />

[PHOTO] TB: tiny increases & iris torture

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: tiny increases & iris torture
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 16:03:55 -0400

Not wanting to literally waste (kill) perfectly good mature rhizomes of
recent, expensive cultivars here, last year I experimented with tiny
offsets from several rhizomes in our local club order.  The series of
photos show a rhizome before and after removing a small increase (inside
the black circle), a couple of tiny increases from this year's order
after a few months in pots (Ghio's STARRING and HUNTER PINK), and some
of the surviving increases from last year's order.

We distribute (free) rhizomes to club members willing to grow them for
increase to return to membership and future public fundraising sales
Since they are more likely to die in my frost pocket/gravel pit, I
prefer they go to other club members gardens where they have a better
chance of survival.  If they thrive, I will try them here eventually.

These tiny increases give me a guilt free way to screen a few here as
well.  Last year, tiny starts of GOLDEN PANTHER and LILY MY LOVE went on
to make mature fans and will probably bloom next spring.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Tennessee Whooping Crane Walkathon:
<http://www.whoopingcranesovertn.org>