Re: Another PCI seedling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Another PCI seedling
  • From: "Jan Clark" janclarx@hotmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 21:02:26 +1000

Margie wrote:
>Those seedlings are so lovely!  I've always liked PCI's, but heard >they
>don't grow in this desert climate.  What kind of climate/weather
> >conditions do you have?

I think Francelle is correct - the alkalinity would be a problem.
Here the weather is probably similar to California. My PCI's have enjoyed
the shift from a more arid area, to an area of higher rainfall, deeper,
richer soil, and lots of pine leaf and pine bark mulch.
we have light snow perhaps twice a year, frosts down to minus 5 centigrade.
I prefer to grow them in partial shade, in particular with morning sun
rather than afternoon. I have grown them in pots succesfully for several
years, and think if you could emulate these conditions you could grow them.
Cheers, Jan

Sell a Home for Top $