[PHOTO] stocking lids | Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:32:40" />

[PHOTO] stocking lids

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] stocking lids
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:31:13 -0500

Hello Folks,

I've taken some ribbing for these things, but if the dogs will not steal
them for toys they are an effective barrier against grasshoppers.  This
group is covering some of my acquisitions via the ASI Plant Sale.  Within
two hours of planting them I found a grasshopper that had already destroyed
the main rhizome.  So I moved some from elsewhere and put fresh stockings on
them and now the rhizomes underneath are growing happily and safely.  This
bed isn't large (yet) and wasn't ready when I received them.  It's carved
out between the limestone rocks at the edge of the hill.  I'd discovered
several years ago that some of the harder to grow arilbreds did really well
in the soil that is there naturally and I wanted to try some more and pure
arils to see if it will happen again.  So I potted them with that soil and
when I got enough done to plant got them in the bed.  It's a tough dig,
though.  Rocks, greenbriar roots and tough grasses.  I propose to leave the
native bluestem and Texas muly grass, but that just makes getting everything
else removed harder.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 8, USA