Re: Photos of "soil"

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Photos of "soil"
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@volfirst.net
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:18:03 -0400

Re comments on all the rocks in my photos:

Now you know why I refer to this part of the garden as the gravelly
rows.  I pick up all the rocks, but leave the smaller stuff.  Over the
years, the size distribution of rocks has gotten smaller as I've hauled
off barrow loads of the bigger ones.  Some day when I am bored and have
the energy, I will screen a few buckets of <dirt> to show just how much
gravel is out there.  My estimate is that it ranges from about 25% to
over 50% coarser than 0.2 cm.  The rest is very rich loam.  Although
survival can be a problem for some irises, drainage is <not> an issue,
even after a 6 inch afternoon downpour!

Compared to my <gravel>, Donald Eaves has <real> rocks in his flower

Most of the rebloomers are in the section of the garden that I used to
use for veggies.  It is much lower in gravel content, at least in the
surface few feet, and much higher in clay.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8