Flower parts in a fan

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Flower parts in a fan
  • From: "Christopher Darlington" chris.darlington@sympatico.ca
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:39:33 -0000

Let me throw this one out for a nibble.  I was busy cutting a Birch
that fell in my seedling bed a few weeks ago and noticed a fan with a
petal emerging from the top.  I inspected it closely and found a
folded fan, inside the folded fan was about 2 inches of sparsely
spaced beard material and what looked like a horn with a tiny 1
inched sized petal emerging from the fan.  This was weird because
there wasn't a stalk, ovary, any other flower parts.  About the
weirdest thing I've seen yet.

Anybody seen anything similar to this ?  Any explanations ?  For what
it's worth, it was a SKY HOOKS x THORNBIRD seedling.

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!