Re: Seedling

  • Subject: Re: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Seedling
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:15:51 -0400

Bob,  that is a very interesting seedling--99CK53.

You might enjoy the Space Age Robin SpaceAgeRobin@yahoogroups.com

We've had a discussion the past few days on the SA Robin about just the subject you mention--the contrasting colors of spoons and flounces from top to bottom.

Actually, as I understand it, what we see is that the flounce or spoon is a mirror image of the fall itself.  The outside of the fall often is the same color as the outside of the standard, so the flounce or spoon seems to match the standard.

The tissues involved on both faces, however, are both from the fall.  The top of the flounce (or spoon) is a match for the outside of the fall, while the underside of the flounce is a match for the top side of the fall.

99CK53 has the "Joyce Terry" pattern in yellow under the violet-blue pigment of the whole flower.  Typically, the "Joyce Terry" types have non-yellow tops of falls and insides of standards, both with a yellow border.  The outside of the fall and the outside of the standards are solid yellow.

I find this pattern very interesting.  It seems to come from *Iris variegata* itself.  Some of the species *variegata clones* show this pattern in various forms, usually concealed by the fall overlay of pattern of speckles and lines.  Crosses to the *pallida* types where the overlay drops out reveals the pattern.

It is much more strongly expressed in tetraploids, however.

One of the frustratingly consistent issues with SA's incidentally, as I am sure you have noticed and comment on with 99CK53, is the variability of horns-spoons-flounces.

One curious one example that surprised a lot of people is DEVONSHIRE CREAM.  Registered as a mainline-type, it develops horns in a number of gardens.  Suttons have observed this, as have Bill Burleson and others.  It had horns on several blooms here this year too, the first time I have observed them on Dev. Cream.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links