Re: HYB: tangerine factor

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: tangerine factor
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:50:44 -0400

I'm looking forward to seeing your Lycopene extraction photos, Chuck.

When you do find that name of the other pigment, I'd be quite interested.  I would not be surprised if it were one of the redder anthocyanins--but that would not jibe well with where you observe the pigment in your extraction sequence.

Rick Ernst's hope of getting a really red iris from Lycopene alone does not sound very promising from what both you and Linda are finding on the pigment extractions.  Lycopene alone isn't red enough.  A hot orange iris from Lycopene intensification would have a lot of garden interest, but wouldn't be the red hoped for, from the sounds of things.

Really red irises seem more likely from the scarlet to red Pelargonidin pigments if we can get them into bearded irises.  I would think some work on DNA transfers from Gladiolus a productive--but quite expensive--potential for true reds.  Identifying the relevant enzymes that give the 4' hydroxyl - only on the flavylium core's B-ring of anthocyanins is the main thing lacking.  Glads have it, irises don't.  Of course, the combination of sugars on the A double-ring matter too, but less than the number of -OH radicals on the flav. core.

Even dropping one of the three -OH radicals, especially the one at 5', would move us up the ladder toward red.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links