  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re:HYB:sharing:1812
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:06:46 -0000

I was thinking the same thing but hadn't posted yet. I suspect #5 and
one of the others with darker colouration on falls as possibly having
3 pl genes as they both also had a lot of plicata streaking at hafts.
Just a guess.

Certainly Certainly is trying hard to rebloom here. Has a nice stalk
and it is a cinnamon on creamy yellow plicata. Double Vision is
reblooming very nicely here but it has been grown in the unheated
greenhouse so aout equivalent to zone7/8 climate. It would be another
possible outcross parent. Although it is purple on salmon plicata it
has the anthocyanin (for red) and the samon (which is tttt ) will be
yellow when crossed to a yellow based plant.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@c...> wrote:
> Betty, the several photos from the 1812 cross have been fun to see,
especially to see a series from a single cross is not often published.
 We've not often had this kind of sequence on Iris-photos.  IMHO this
is something we could do more often--it's an education, and besides,
it's fun.
> Something that has struck me on several of the seedlings is that the
patterns around the beard are typical of outcrosses from plicatas with
selfs that have plicata potential.  I suppose the ones that display
the pattern would be the three-dose level sort, although that's an
opinion so flimsy or thin the wind would blow it away rather easily.
> I wonder if there is rebloom potential in SPICE LORD?  After seeing
Robin Shadlow's photos of some Keppel seedlings involving SL the
obvious thought crossed my mind that this family of seedlings suggests
it might be quite interesting to cross SPICE LORD or one of its
parents with some of the fuller-bodied seedlings from the 1812 cross.
> SPICE LORD may not be productive of the colors you are after *plus*
rebloom, but the Keppel seedlings suggest it is a quality parent.
> The reason I'm pursuing this thought is that the Gibson plicatas are
likely present more than just a little in the ancestry.  I haven't
even begun to check that out, but it's a fair guess.  The Gibson
plicatas, several of which did rebloom, are present in most
yellow-ground plicata lines.  In fact, they occur in pedigrees so
frequently they're hard to avoid.
> I'm just muddling and musing about the questions you raised about
getting to your objective with this cross.
> It will be fun to watch this line as it evolves under your hand.  I
hope you will show us some of the next generation as they come into bloom!
> Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains.

Yahoo! Groups Links