Re: AUTUMN CIRCUS

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: AUTUMN CIRCUS
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 03:00:15 -0000

I haven't seen the Schreiner photo, but here AUTUMN CIRCUS is a
pretty nice form.  Maybe not the latest, widest most ruffled bloom
compared to some new intros, but certainly it couldn't be described
as squatty.  Perhaps I should have taken a bloom yesterday of a
stalk that only had a single bloom open.  That is more
characteristic than these three open at once.  I didn't because it
had been savaged by beetle damage.  There are still more buds, so
maybe I'll catch one and post a single open bloom.  I think the
angle of the camera can distort iris blooms, making them look like
they have longer falls or bigger standards than they really have.
When I take a photograph, I usually try to get the bloom level with
the camera so the photo is taken directly from the side and equal
time is given to both the standards and the falls.  Sometimes I
can't quite do that and on rare occasions I'll choose a different
angle for some reason or another, but that's where I usually try to
catch a bloom.  This particular photo is pretty representative of
what the eye really sees.  I'm always please when I get that result.

Donald