RE: old iris bulbs

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] old iris bulbs
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:09:04 -0800

The first question about planting is how much time do you have before first
killing frost? I would guess that you need at least 6 weeks. The one time I
planted irises out of the ground for a year, I soaked the rhizomes for 24
hours, cut the old roots off and then "mudded" the rhizomes in. "Mudded"
means making the planting area nothing but mud. The rhizomes were pressed
into the mud so that the top of the rhizome was about 1/4" under the level
of the mud. The cultivar was very vigorous. About 90% survived and about 50%
bloomed the first year.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road