Re: One more Question?

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] One more Question?
  • From: Bruce & Linda Silversity@comcast.net
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:59:28 -0500

Title: Re: [iris-photos] One more Question?
   What a guy to go searching for that slide!  Great iris, but like you said, not quite what I have.  I will keep the faith and hope for a miracle.  The contrast on this iris is what holds me I think.  The falls are fabulous and from a distance it will catch your eye in the garden and makes you blank out everything growing around it!  It has good increase and the foliage is very hardy and resistant to spot.  All of the older iris that I have seem to have that quality.  Some of the newer high breeds are more tender in that area!  So.......the beat goes on!  Thanks again for all the info! Have a great day!

Well . . . now that I have resurrected a nearly 30-year-old slide of Momauguin (attached), I'm afraid my memory isn't so good.  The falls may match, but the standards in my slide have a good deal more red in them than the standards in your photo.   So -o, maybe close, but no cigar.  Anyhow, here's the description of Momauguin:

(Ruth Stephenson, R. 1960). TB 48" M-L. R3.
"S dark red over brown; F red-black; yellow beard. (Black Ruby X ((Auburn x Orange Gem) x Redwyne))., Old Brook 1964. HC 1963, HM 1965."

If we can identify yours, I'd really like to know what else had those blackish velvet falls in those days.  --  Griff