Re: Foliar damage (was Violet Miracle etc)

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Foliar damage (was Violet Miracle etc)
  • From: Linda Mann lmann@lock-net.com
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 07:10:49 -0400

Not planning on treating for it, since I want exposure to be very high
here to aid in seedling selection.

This doesn't look like what I <think> is fungal leaf spot, which usually
starts as spots, then spreads and takes out the whole leaf blade,
especially abundant in spring towards end of bloom season.

This type of damage starts out at the leaf tip, spreads downward, but
stops in dry weather in strong plants.  In weaker plants, it will take
out whole leaf blades and the rhizome rots.  It can occur in any weather
following a lot of rain.  But I've never tried to determine what disease
it is (or tried to cure it), and the soft rot in the rhizome may be
coincidental to the whole plant being sick or weak, in my growing

Trying to treat for foliar diseases in my growing conditions is a waste
of time - foliage can be wet from dew until well into the afternoon on
non-rainy days, and wet from rain the rest of the time :-(

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional