{Disarmed} Re: Reblooming in the last 2 months/Lumar Whitewash

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Reblooming in the last 2 months/Lumar Whitewash
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 21:25:59 EDT

In a message dated 10/8/2006 6:31:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, jgcrump@cox.net writes:
<,Is there a PH difference or other significant soil difference between Alvaton and where you now are?>

Griff, I can't speak to the subject with any authority since I didn't do a test for PH at Alvaton.  At one point I planted part of a row with irises I'd bought to replace the ones I'd lost.  Ruffled Ballet comes to mind, but there were others.  I placed approximately half a cup of pelletized lime in the bottom of each hole and stirred it in before I planted the irises.  They lived.  I'd read somewhere that the acidity was probably the reason for my losses.  Not Innerst specifically.

Since I've moved here I did put lime in all the planting holes or side dressed with it.  Early this spring I top dressed with lime.  I feel relatively sure this is the difference.  The county agent said all the soil in my county is acid, but I can't remember the exact ph.  This was an old feed lot/pasture and that assures it was even higher.

I don't usually lime in the fall but may this year so it can soak in with the winter rains and fall through the cracks with the freeze and thaw.

Right now I have to find a spot to over winter 110 mum pots!!

Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives