Reblooming Seedling

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] Reblooming Seedling
  • From: thomas silvers tesilvers@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 04:54:33 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday I got a pleasant surprise. I was trying to
find spaces for a shipment of plants [not irises] that
I'd just received. I did a "double-take" when I saw
this iris bloomstalk. You see, I've never gotten much
in the way of rebloom at all -- I guess I don't do
enough pampering throughout the summer. To be fair,
I've probably only tried a dozen to two dozen
varieties, but 'Golden Baby' (an SDB) is the only one
I can say has grown well and rebloomed for me.
Anyway, this stalk is from one of my diploid
seedlings. The parentage is Iris cengialtii X 'Clown
Pants'. 'Clown Pants' is Iris variegata X suaveolens
var. mellita.
This seedling's maiden bloom was in 2005 [upper left
in image]. I move it to our new home afterwards
--Summer 2005. It bloomed again in the Spring of 2006
and now it has a stalk blooming in October 2006. The
bloom in the upper right, was beginning to shrivel
(and was at almost ground level -- note the odd
branching) but I picked it and spread it back open for
the photo. I'll try to get more pictures as those
remaining buds open.

Do You Yahoo!?

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: