{Disarmed} Re: Re: Wearing Rubies vs Machismo

  • Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] Re: Wearing Rubies vs Machismo
  • From: Autmirislvr@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:16:11 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2006 5:57:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, lmann@lock-net.com writes:
<<Griff, Betty, others - are there advantage to using WEARING RUBIES vs
As you know, rebloom is my main goal and I like to know what genetics go into my irises!  I've had an eye on WR since it's introduction but didn't buy it before based on two qualities.  One was the unknown genetics, and the other was the bad reports on growth in the US.
I used MACHISMO both ways this spring without any success.  I adore the bloom on MACHISMO, but that is really the only positive thing I can say about it.  I've never seen an iris look so "scared" before!  I really think that one clamped stalk is all I'll ever see from it.  I may have lost it by now.
Since it's introduction, I've heard more reports on WEARING RUBIES reblooming, and producing children that rebloom.  True, they've rebloomed in zones 8 & 9 but the genetics still exist.  I decided to give it a chance in my garden.
I'll try just about anything in a cross and hope for good things in the seedlings.  Often it's wasted energy. Once I had about 30 plants from such a cross that increased well and looked healthy going into winter, but by spring nothing decent was left.
It's a gamble, but if I get the look I want on my strong plants, it's worth the effort.  Can be frustrating.
Advantages?  I think it's just what works.
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Reblooming Iris - Home Page
iris-photos archives