{Disarmed} Re: HYB: multiple stalks?

  • Subject: [PHOTO] {Disarmed} Re: [iris-photos] HYB: multiple stalks?
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" jgcrump@cox.net
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 22:44:53 -0400

Sometimes, fortune smiles.  We (Chesapeake and Potomac Iris Society) had our fall rebloom show today and were warned ahead of time that reports from around the society's area indicated a shortage of bloomstalks, imperiling the possibility of having a legal show.  For that reason, I determined to cut and bring in the only two stalks that might make it.  One was RENOWN, whose terminal bloom was already open 3 days before the show.  I cut it and stuck it in the dark basement, where two more blooms opened in the dark.  The other was ETERNAL BLISS.  One of its double-socketed terminal blooms was already spent the day before the show; no other buds were open, but the third bud on the stalk looked like it had a prayer of a chance.  I set it in the kitchen inches below the hanging lamp until bedtime the night before the show.  No noticeable progress.  For the night, I put it in the warmest room in the house, a small bathroom with its own heat vent, and closed the door.  By morning, the bloom was showing signs of opening.  It was then transferred to the sunniest bedroom, where it continued to show promise.  Then, however, the sun moved to where intervening trees permitted only filtered rays to enter the room.  At that point, I transferred it to the car, which was sitting in full sun.  There, with windows rolled up tightly, it sat in full sunlight and warmth.  At 10 in the morning, it was open!  Meantime, I had trimmed and carefully groomed RENOWN, clipping off spent blooms and carving a leaf to eliminate the leaf spot.  It was looking as good as one could make it, given the circumstances.  By now, it would be a race to make it to the show on time.  As luck would have it (and not for the first time), I hit a traffic jam on the Beltway.  I arrived just as the judges were beginning their work.  They were starting with the medians, so, they said, put ém on the table.  I had only brought them in order to ensure there'd be enough for the show, so grooming of ETERNAL BLISS was done in scant moments.  I'd left the scissors in the car, so took my pocket knife and "surgically removed" the spent terminal bud.
To shorten this long story, ETERNAL BLISS won a blue ribbon from a team known as tough judges.  RENOWN got an HM.  During the judging, I noticed the judges had had a clerk set EB on the floor and were peering down at it.  Afterwards, one of the judges asked me whether there had been a terminal bud, and had I removed it.  "I cannot tell a lie," I said.  "I did it with my little pen knife."  He grinned.  "None of us could tell for sure," he said.
Linda, I think you'll be interested in the branching.  Please forgive the poor quality of the photo.  --  Griff