Re: Rock star and wasp spider

  • Subject: Re: Rock star and wasp spider
  • From: Bill Chaney <billchaney@ymail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:04:21 -0700 (PDT)

You are right, Anja's spider (likely Argiope bruennichi, common name: wasp spider) is in the same genus as North America's Argiope aurantia, common name Black and Yellow Garden Spider.

Here are links to Anja's spider:

and our Garden Spider

Both are harmless to humans and actually beneficial in that they catch many insects in their large webs.

retired entomologist