Re: HYB: yellow amoena - how?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: yellow amoena - how?
  • From: Chuck Chapman <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 14:50:45 -0400 (EDT)

 An interesting question.

First you need to remember that pigment and pattern are inherited separately.  For example, Immortality (or any pure white)  or any flower without carotenes showing, could be a cartenoid amoena. but not show it as cartenoid pigment is not present.

Then you would need to look at cartenoid amoena X non catenoid flower. This may give  flowers where when cartenoid pigments are present, it is only in the falls.

But for sure  cartenoid  pigment in standards  would seem to be dominant over  no cartenoid pigment in flowers.

Another factor is the anthocyanin wash needed over lycopene for bright pinks. In order for this to not be pesent in a distracting way, it also needs to be an amoena pattern.

Chuck Chapman