Re: Re: Subject: Cricket Song
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Subject: Cricket Song
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 03:50:03 -0700 (PDT)

Hi again Betty,
Speaking of looking strong enough to suit... reminded me about this experimental diploid MTB seedling that I've got growing right now. I only have seven seedlings from the cross. The one seeedling has 18(!!!) increase fans started compared to its six siblings (each with a more normal 2 or 3 increase). Granted some of the 18 fans are just little bitty things but at least six of them are bigger than the main fans of the four least vigorous siblings. Two of the siblings are nearly as big as the one super-vigorous one but still have only 2 or 3 increase fans.
Has anyone seen this much determination to multiply before [18 increase]?

I posted two recent pictures here:

http://maprc.blogspot.com/2011/10/iris-experiment.html

and here's what it looked like back in early summer. Keep in mind these all germinated about the same time and were all treated the same. The two with yellow dots looked overly vigorous to just be plain old MTB X MTB seedlings. The ones with red dots beside them were more like what I'd expect from the cross.

Thanks again for that wonderful feedback on 'Cricket Song'. I hope you get to enjoy a nice long Fall bloom season.
Best wishes, Tom

Thanks, Tom. I might try this. My thoughts were going more toward my
few MTBs from the 'Welch's Reward x 'Consummation' cross! Planted a
baker's dozen. Only a couple look strong enough to suit me and they
appear to have potential for spring bloom. Since they are diploids, I
thought they might be a good match.

'Cricket Song' is a bit damaged from a light frost several days ago.
Still very pretty.

<<And Betty, don't forget that even though it's a diploid, it still
might be a good breeder for you. I've gotten seeds pretty consistently
[although admittedly not loads of them] from using diploid pollen on
tetraploid pod parents.>>

Betty Wilkerson
Zone 6 KY
autmirislvr@aol.com