[PHOTO] TB: Starlit Velvet | Sun, 2 Sep 2001 09:29:49" />

[PHOTO] TB: Starlit Velvet

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] TB: Starlit Velvet
  • From: jem300@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2001 10:29:29 EDT

This is one of my favorite "black" irises, STARLIT VELVET (Stahly, 1991).  I
first saw this one in my mom's garden and it was a knockout.  Then, when at
AIS convention in Denver 2000 I saw a clump of it in someone's garden and it
stopped me dead in my tracks.  If it had been a convention guest I would have
voted for it for the Franklin Cook cup.  I have not seen this hybridizer's
Baltic Star that has been discussed recently on iris talk but am wondering if
this is similar?

Very rich in coloration, has a very "plush" texture, smouldering bronze
beards, and that fascinating white spray pattern.   Clean foliage, good
growth.  Toward the short end of the TB size range, never falls over.  This
is a "keeper" in my garden.

Linda Doffek
West Bend, Wisconsin, USA       USDA zone 5
Member AIS, SSI, MIS, TBIS, and Wisconsin Iris Society

Monitoring Service trial