Re: SPEC: Iris lazica

Thanks for your response....

> I believe it is difficult to distinguish the species based on
flowers though lazica is supposed to have "larger fiddle-shapped
falls". You might try comparing leaves. unguicularis has thicker,
stiffer leaves with strong ribs particularly along the edges of the
leaves. lazica is only weakly ribbed.

The leaves on my lazica are VERY different to the unguicularis.  They
are much wider, with a softer shinier appearance and much brighter a
green.  As you say, much more of a sheath to them as well.  The clumps
 of unguicularis and lazica only vaguely resemble each other though.
If differentiation needs to be via feeling the texture of the leaf,
then I do not have I. lazica but rather have something else.  Visually
these are very different.

> Do you have different cultivars of I. unguicularis? It might be
interesting to compare their leaves to see how much variation they
have. I have a few cultivars, but most are recent and don't have many
leaves to look at..

I posted a number of photos a while back of some of the different
cultivars I have.  All of them have basically the same type of leaf,
and are all very different to what I have as I. lazica.  Now I am
wondering what I actually have.  Sigh!

Paul Tyerman
Canberra, Australia

Monitoring Service trial