RE: Canadian article about the USA...

  • Subject: RE: [iris-photos] Canadian article about the USA...
  • From: "Linda Goh" <lindagoh@home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:56:29 -0600

I am so glad you shared this.  Yesterday a.m. on the radio they were reading it out and I was interrupted by a phone call, so didn't get to hear the complete version.  I went to search on the web for it last night.
Apparently this was written June 5, 1973, by a well-known Canadian journalist, Gordon Sinclair.  It is titled "The Americans".
The link below gives a biography of Mr. Sinclair:
This link relates the story of  the wrting of this piece and the public reaction to it:
This link has the original transcript which differs slightly.  As well you can listen to the original broadcast.
I found this very moving and until yesterday was unaware of it.  I'm sure Mr. Sinclair is looking down on us and smiling; his work to this day is still being appreciated.
To all the Americans out there, my sincere condolences on your loss of lives and loves.  You should know that all Canadians feel deeply for the affront to the sensibility of our enlightened neighbour and friend.  How does one deal with a backward, barbaric, intolerant idealism which is embraced by a crazy few?  Well, I know your nation will no doubt figure that out, and we'll be there for you.
Linda Goh
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!