Re: ANOTHER QUESTION/PLEASE

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: ANOTHER QUESTION/PLEASE
  • From: "lmmunro" lmmunro@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 03:04:25 -0000

Sharon:
One of two things is happening here. Either you may have iris borers.
They would have a creamy colored body and a reddish brown head (not
butt). They would eat their way down thru the leaves into the rhizome
and eat the rhizome. Then rot happens and the rhizome turns to mush
(and smells real bad too) I don't know if you live in 'borer country'
but they live only in the East.
Or, you might have something opportunistic (grubs maybe?) which have
invaded an already rotted rhizome. The rhizome may have rotted
because of previous borers, or because the ground was too wet, or
sometimes they just rot for the heck of it.
In any case, you should cut off any rotted part of the rhizome; cut
back till you see firm white flesh, soak in a 1 part household bleach
to 9 parts water for about 20 minutes, let dry and replant. Make sure
your bed has good drainage, is not too shady, rocky or full of clay
(if it is you should add some topsoil, sand, and a little compost).
That should work.
If you let us know where in the country you are, that would also help
in finding the right solution for you.
Laetitia

 --- In iris-photos@y..., goodskidgood@a... wrote:
> HELLO:
>
>  WELL I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION,IF ANY BODY WOULD ANSWER PLEASE. I
HAVE JUST
> DUG UP MY IRIS BULBS.TO PUT INTO A NEW BED SO IT DOES NOT RECEIVE
SO MUCH
> WATER. WELL WHEN I DUG THEM UP, I FOUND THERE WERE ALOT OF
GRUBS,THEY ARE
> WHITE WITH A DARK BROWN BUTT, I PICKED THEM OUT AND PUT THEM IN THE
TRASH. MY
> QUESTION IS , THEY WERE EATING THE BULBS. SHOULD I THROW THE BULBS
AWAY? AND
> BUY NEW?OR REPLANT THEM IN THE NEW PLACE? SOME ARE REAL BAD. AND
SLIMY. THOSE
> I PUT IN THE TRASH. AND OUT OF ABOUT 30 PLANTS THREE OF THEM SEEM
OK, THEN
> WWWWWWWWWWHEN I PLANT THE OTHERS WHAT DO I PUT IN THE GROUND TO
STOP THEM
> FROM COMING BACK?       THANK YOU ANITA FOR ANSWERING THE LAST
LETTER I
> SENT,THAT WAS VERY KIND OF YOU.
>
>      SHARON.    OR  GOODSKIDGOOD. THANK YOU AGAIN.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/2gGylB/TM