  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] SYRIAN PRINCESS
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 14:34:40 -0500

Hello Bill,
>----- So you think temp and moisture interrelated in your aril dormancy experience?
Definitely.  The other factors that may have an effect is day length and soil type.
>Have they ever gone dormant when the temp did not exceed 90 degrees?
Yes.  Sometimes if early spring is dry, they will head into dormancy very soon after blooming.  In fact, I believe under those conditions that the earlier blooming plants will be going dormant even as other arilbreds are still blooming.  Dry conditions seem to set them up for dormancy.  When we have more rainfall, they are slower to go dormant.  Some years some don't go entirely dormant, other years they do.   Richer soil also seems to retard dormancy.

>I've never quite gotten the hopper issue out of my head.
Me neither.  Grasshoppers are constant source of frustration.  Lots of things work to an extent, but none really solve the problem satisfactorily.  It's my personal belief that things have gotten out of balance hereabouts.  But that's a reason, not a solution.  Somehow the natural controls for keeping the population in bounds is not enough.  The lantana isn't something they eat, but they will hide in the lantana in great numbers.  I have some shade cloth I could use, but I'm saving that for seedlings that are still in pots that I want to plant in a week or so.  I'm not going to use the blender on lantana again.  It was not effective enough for the mess.  I expect cedar (or juniper as the case may be) would be similar.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here