[PHOTO] seedling question | Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:56:33" />

[PHOTO] seedling question

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] seedling question
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:52:52 -0500

I hope the variegation on this seedling shows in the photo (also a slight
tinge of pbf) because I had to practically stand on my head to get it (the
dogs weren't helpful).  A couple of weeks ago I posted a photo of a 'twin
phenonmenon' that I see show up in the TB x AB seedlings.  This kind of
variegation also shows up in those types of crosses.  Of the 126 seedlings I
planted out of the pots weekend before last, there were three.  I have had
these before.  None have ever survived to bloom (but as my previous photo
shows there may be lots of other reasons for that besides the variegation).
What I don't know is if this is genetic or a deficiency in the soil.  I
think it might outgrow the variegation, but so far it doesn't seem inclined
to do that.  The pot had two siblings that are normal green in color.  The
other two variegated seedlings had more siblings in the pots and was a
different cross.  Any guesses as to what may be the cause.  The pod parents
are definitely not variegated.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 8, USA