HYB: Umbrata: Haunting

  • Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: Umbrata: Haunting
  • From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:57:24 -0400

Griff--that photograph of HAUNTING is, well....haunting.  The exquisite beard on the plush fall--and the form.  What a memorable image!  I too would like to see these two crossed.  There're a couple other seedlings from POWER WOMAN that I'd also like to stir into the mix.
As to height--I wish ROGUE had stayed a BB here.  Once it reached normal height, the first rain+wind took the bloomstalks over--bowed them over--so that blossoms were nearly upside down.
That may be a matter of fertility and micronutrients, however, as YAQUINA BLUE did the same this year, and I have never heard any one else complain of it doing so.  My fertilizing and liming have gone to zilch the past two years.
In the cross from which this seedling came that I posted -- R 24 -- the first seedling to bloom was similar to this one, but did as ROGUE did here.  I tossed it immediately.
R 24-5 is saved by being only BB height.  There are a couple other seedlings from the cross that were saved, although not as appealing as this one.  The color, rather than being brick-oriented, was more oxblood red.  I didn't realize the standards had the amount of variation in tone revealed until I saw the photo on screen.
My photo jaunts into the garden have been both brief and rather painful, so I don't always get the pictures I want.  I'm satisfied when I can see the image at all.
Neil Mogensen  z 7  western NC mountains

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links